Sunday, October 10, 2010

Buva - Something That You Need to Hear!

Whoa! Sometimes listening to new music can really surprise you. I got such a surprise today. Just listened to the new album by Buva (the solo project by Pasadena artist Tom Wolfe) and I'm telling you that this album is in contention for best Power Pop album of 2010 (competing with "Queens's English" by Mark Bacino for that honor). It's a warm immediate effort that has the casual feel of early McCartney solo projects. The songs start in understated fashion but each one builds to reveal clever and sublime hooks. I am loving this! Its clearly a power pop must listen and it's easy to check it out for yourself. The entire album is streaming on the Buva website. Don't wait. Listen to this and let me know what you think.

I loved the debut EP by Buva but was a bit disappointed by his 2006 sophomore effort "All This Humming". That album has some terrific moments but was a bit introverted and mellow for my taste. The new album "Not Scary! Friendly" is much better. Lot's of upbeat tunes. Great hooks. Subtle arrangements.

To celebrate, here is the sum total of my Buva rarities . Two compilation tracks, one instrumental and four solo acoustic tracks from an earlier version of Buva's website. Enjoy these but PLEASE go out and buy the man's album! More of this please Tom!
  1. Something That I Need to Hear (Acoustic version)
  2. Can I See You (Compilation track from the Smallville Soundtrack)
  3. Crawling From the Egg (Instrumental from MySpace)
  4. She Makes Me Fall Down (Acoustic version)
  5. First Cut is the Deepest (Compilation track from the Heartbreak Kid Soundtrack)
  6. Just Step Away (Acoustic version)
  7. She Likes the Sound (Acoustic version)

5 comments:

jay strange said...

totally agree with you in terms of probable album of the year..it completely knocks my socks off...
i am also a big fan of the previous album but then i'm always up for a bit of mellow gravitas pop...i'm in the process of doing an interview with the Tom for the next bucketfull of brains even as i type....everybody should buy the new album straight away it is a wonderful slice of creativity

mick d

Anything Should Happen said...

I thought you'd get us both on here Haper.

It is indeed a wonderful album as was the previous one as Mick says.

Great post.

Country Rock Review said...

Just listened to the tracks...very impressed...I love finding artists out of the blue like this...keep em coming

Untenable said...

You should check out my band Oranjuly.
Powerpopaholic gave us a 10 out of 10.

www.oranjuly.com

Anything Should Happen said...

Hey Haper,

Isn't it about time you posted something?

I'm dead bored and it'd be a nice xmas present.