Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Pugwash Album on the Way!

Great news at Pop Fair! Thomas Walsh's new Pugwash blog confirms that the new Pugwash CD entitled "The Olympus Sound" is complete! He's leaked out a few minutes of music to tantilize fans and no surprise, from what I've heard so far, the tracks are pure Beatlesque joy! I'd advise listening to a few minutes from the first track "Answers On A Postcard" and hear for yourself.

Hey Thomas I'd love to get a pre-release listen of that "Listening Copy" to do a proper review!

By now it's almost assumed that Mr. Walsh is surrounded by a great band peppered with big name guest stars. This time Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory from XTC co-write and produce selected tracks. Ben Folds makes a guest appearance on piano.

As usual to wet your appetite before the official release, I'm posting my ever more complete collection of rare Pugwash "Odds and Sods".. You'll see that most of these tracks are cleverly chosen covers. Almost all were posted By the talented Mr. Walsh himself during last year. (I posted a few lower quality version of these back in 2008) As always they are great.

If anyone has any Pugwash collectibles that I'm missing, please share!

1 On With the Show (Idle Race Cover)
2 Dr. Robert (Beatles Cover)
3 You're Like Manchester (John Shuttleworth Cover)
4 Tinsel and Marzipan (Christmas Single)
5 To My Maker (Colin Hare Cover B-Side of "This Could Be Good")
6 Thanks For Christmas (XTC Cover)
7 Home to Me (Track Left off of Jollity B-Side of "This Could Be Good")
8 All You Need is Love (Beatles Cover)
9 At Abbey Road (I Want You Back In My Life Instrumental)
10 Radio Ga Ga (Queen Cover)
11 I Can Hear The Grass Grow (Move Cover Live Acoustic)
12 You Just May Be The One (Monkees Cover Live Acoustic)
13 Two Wrongs (Live)

Looking forward to release day!


12 comments:

Thomas Walsh said...

You're very kind Haper!! Nice little comp too. You should put on the recent 'Radio' version of 'Telephone Line' wot I did with me mate Tosh..!! :-) It's up on YouTube somewhere. Keep up the very very appreciated work my friend.

Thomas.

Haper said...

Thanks for the tip Thomas. Nice version of Telephone Line. Really great to get feedback from you! Let me know any time you feel like letting out any odd castaway tunes you've got locked away. I'll find a place to feature them.

Best of luck with the new release. What I've heard sounds great! (Do you guys ever get around to touring the states?)

Shriner said...

Yeah, Thomas -- come tour the states! And bring Andy and Dave along with you. ;-)

sitarswami said...

I have a track called "Fire In My Belly" which I got from the old Pugwash website. Not sure if it's currently available. I could e-mail it to you if you'd like it.

Haper said...

I don't think I have "Fire In My Belly" and I'm pretty sure its not in print. I would love to add it to this collection.

Haper said...

Thanks much sitarswami! Love the track. I'll incorporate it into a revised version of this post. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

I bloody love Pugwash! This is great news. Really looking forward to hearing the new album.

theotherfakemarc said...

Ain't Thomas the BEST!
i LOVE Pugwash! Thanks for yer Blog sir! I have up til now Only been able to enjoy these tracks on the pooter..Now i can hear them with No Visual Aid and while mowing the lawn if i choose!

Really Psyched for the New Pugs CD!
thanks again for posting all these gems!
~Marc

Anonymous said...

Nice one for collecting these gems Harper.I'd say were we to buy them they would cost at least 300!!!Lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi, with megaupload gone is there anywhere else I can download these tracks? The Olympus Sound was my album of 2011, and the Duckworth Lewis Method is a fantastic album too... Many thanks! Andy.

Lionsfan said...

I am very late to the Pugwash bandwagon. I would sure love to hear these tunes. Any chance you can reupload them to medafire?

Haper said...

Reupped....finally. Sorry it took me so long.