Friday, April 11, 2008

Parthenon Huxley - Unacknowledged Genus


Parthenon Huxley is a sorely under-recognized pop genius. He's been putting out superior Beatlesque power pop for nearly 30 years with a criminal lack of public recognition. As "Rick Miller", he was one of two singer songwriters for the seminal North Carolina power pop band the Blazers. Later as "Rick Rock" he recorded three classic slices of power pop in the Mondo Montage series. in 1986, "Parthenon Huxley" recorded his first album "Sunny Nights", a 1980s Power Pop classic. His 1995 epic "Deluxe" was recorded by his working band "P. Hux". (It's great that this classic is back in print and currently available for download. ) In 1998, Parthenon Huxley joins ELO 2 and then that band is renamed "The Orchestra" when Jeff Lynne demanded control of the ELO name back. Parthenon's classic "Jewell and Johnny" was a high point for the Orchestra.

Parthenon Huxley has put out a remarkable string of P Hux albums, all of them classics and highly recommended. I've included a link to some hard to find b-sides and compilation tracks. There are some great tracks here and you should definitely check them out. But don't miss out on the official releases, they are even better. Almost all of them are available directly from Parthenon Huxley. I've purchased most of mine this way and recommend every one.

1980 The Blazers How To Rock
1988 Parthenon Huxley Sunny Nights
1993 P Hux Mile High Fan (released in 2006)
1995 P. Hux Deluxe
1997 VeG
2001 P. Hux Live In Your Living Room
2001 P. Hux Purgatory Falls
2001 The Orchestra No Rewind
2004 P. Hux In Your Parlour
2005 P. Hux Homeade Spaceship (the Music of ELO)
2007 P. Hux Kiss The Monster

Thanks to Powerpopaholic, I found and enjoyed reading this recent interview with "the man". Sounds like Parthenon is up to some interesting projects. I'll be checking those out soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my message if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at popfair.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Harry

Haper said...

Re-upped the file. It should work now. Hope you enjoy...

Ben said...

Wow, I can't believe I stumbled upon this. I've been looking for Sputnik (no pun intended) for the longest time now. Thanks for uploading this!

Oxy said...

Hey Haper,

Came across this talent way after the fact. Fail to see how this got by me, but it did. I now have most of what's available, via web or Amazon. I love this guy. Next new post you do, would you mind reupping this. Of course, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks kindly,
Oxy

Haper said...

Sorry its taken me so long Oxy. Been travelling without access to the original files. The reup should be reupped again. Hope you enjoy.

Haper

Oxy said...

Thank you, Haber. Actually, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks for the reup. I'm fond of the old saying better late, than never. I'm heading back to the man and his music! Thanks again!

Later...
Oxy