Monday, July 11, 2011

Even More dB's Rare Tracks - Guest Post!

Today, I'm honored to be able to present a guest post from fantom, a valued friend and poster to this blog. Fantom, I loved the tracks and learned a bunch to boot. Thanks much.....Haper

So afraid need to give some context to these first few. If Like Flies on Sherbet perhaps comes unexpectedly to mind when the mp3s start to roll, there's a reason. The tale begins in early 1978, when the first pilgrims made their way to Memphis to pay homage to Big Star, not long departed and with its legend hardly born? ?--? three classmates from Winston-Salem: Mitch Easter, Will Rigby and Peter Holsapple and tracked down Chris Bell and Alex Chilton, who was then recording Like Flies. (Some months before Chilton had been playing and recording in New York with fellow classmate Chris Stamey...)

The Memphis trip made a deep impression (see Will's recollections) and Holsapple moved to the city for a time and recorded a number of tracks with Chilton (Holsapple in turn backed Chilton up on a few tracks found on bootlegs like Beale Street Green.) Not long after, Holsapple joined Stamey, Rigby and Will Holder in New York, where the dB's had just gotten underway.

I've been under the sway of the dB's ever since Like This hit my ears just as they were starting to stretch open in high school. They were the first band I went to see in a club and I put together an eight-hour tribute to the works of Holsapple and Stamey at the peak of my college radio years. I even went to work in Winston-Salem for a while - not really because of the dB's, but did manage to see Holsapple play on my birthday.

The zip compiler decided the order of tracks to this collection, for worse or better....

1. Crimson & Clover - a rude cover from the Chilton sessions to kick off with
2. The Fight - early prototype of the dB's track, from the Chilton sessions
3. You Said To Me - a nice original, as far as I know, from the Chilton sessions
4. I'm Not Lying - more from the Chilton sessions
5. Couldn't I Just Tell You - Holsapple in the guise of The Guild, from the For the Love of Todd tribute album
6. You Just May Be The One - from the Here No Evil Monkees tribute
7. Ups and Downs - demo for the Repercussions track, with much different approach to the song (and a bit much drum machine)
8. Pushing It Back - demo from the The Sound of Music sessions
9. Paper Hat - Rigby's tribute to Chris Bell, from his solo EP for the Hello Recording Club
10. Bride School - The first of our Holsapple demos from the late 1980s or early 1990s
11. Genericola - The jingle that never was, from same period
12. Get Used To It - ditto
13. I Look For You - a poor quality copy of Holsapple's contribution to the Bonograph Sonny Gets His Share tribute album -- that actually would have fit nicely with Mavericks
14. I Want To Learn To Waltz With You - Holsapple singing song that would appear on the Continental Drifters' Vermillion with Susan Cowsill leading on the mike
15. Leave My World Alone - a mysterious dB's demo from 1982
16. Lousy Lay - Annoyingly, I can't remember the story on this Rigby release and even Google barely mentions
17. No Time - Holsapple from the Lynne Me Your Ears tribute
18. Rendezvous - demo of the Like This track
19. Taken - a dB's demo of the track that would later end up as a duet on Mavericks
20. Theme from Insomnia - an instrumental demo from late 80s/early 90s
21. Your Walkman Looks So Good On You - ditto
22. You've Been On My Mind - feels like a cover... a Chilton session track that made its way to me separate from the others so the zipper's closing out with it

I'm inspired. Working on Vol 2 for Haper.

6 comments:

gregthebunny said...

Cool, I'm looking forward to hearing this!
Thanks!

Robinbrevard said...

Thanks for these rarities. I'm among those stoked about the forthcoming new dB's studio album!

I have a good bit of rare Let's Active and dB's, some in lossless. If anyone wants to trade, please get in touch -- it could lead to more posts here or elsewhere!

my email:

rogerfielding -at- rocketmail -dot- com

Robinbrevard said...

May I please post this comment with my new email address for those who might want to trade rare dB's material?

It's now rdfield - at - rocketmail.com

THANKS!

amusicalguy said...

Thanks so much reuploading the 2nd part this...any chance you can reupload this one too? I love your blog!!!

neo_sepal said...

do you think you'd be able to reupload this? there's nowhere to find these tracks anywhere online and i'd love to hear them! thanks so much.

reservatory said...

I would love to hear this as well. Can't believe I've missed this site up to now. Please please please?